Headline
Malacañang says it understands public’s reaction to First Lady’s birthday post amid flooding
Abi Sarabia M., Philippine Canadian Inquirer
August 19, 2026

Photo courtesy: Presidential Communication Office
Malacañang has acknowledged the frustration of Filipinos who reacted negatively to a social media post from First Lady Liza Araneta-Marcos, shared on August 17 as heavy rains and widespread flooding hit parts of the country.
The post, published to mark the First Lady’s birthday, drew criticism from Filipinos online, with many calling the timing insensitive given that numerous residents were dealing with flooding and related disruptions at the time.
Palace Press Officer Undersecretary Claire Castro said the administration recognizes that some Filipinos were unhappy with the timing and wording of the post, and affirmed that everyone has the right to their own opinion. Castro added that the First Lady welcomes the feedback, saying it helps her understand what further assistance or attention the public may need.
Castro also noted that in the days leading up to Monday’s calamity, the First Lady had been occupied with relief efforts and outreach to Filipinos in need, and said the Palace wanted to make that context known to the public.
According to Malacañang, the First Lady had no ill intent behind the post, which was meant simply as an expression of gratitude on her birthday.
