Headline
Guteza recantation puts flood control probe under fresh scrutiny
Floyd Brenz., Philippine Canadian Inquirer
August 20, 2026

MANILA –A recantation by a former security aide has raised new questions over the credibility of allegations in the government’s investigation into the flood control scandal, with Malacañang calling for authorities to determine whether he was pressured into making false claims.
Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said the Office of the Ombudsman, Department of Justice and other investigating agencies should establish which of the two conflicting accounts of former security aide Orly Guteza is truthful, and whether anyone orchestrated the alleged fabrication.
Guteza, a retired Marine and former security aide of ex-Ako Bicol Rep. Zaldy Co, previously claimed that he delivered suitcases containing cash to former House Speaker Martin Romualdez as part of an alleged flood control kickback scheme.
But in an affidavit dated Aug. 13, Guteza withdrew the allegations, saying he had no personal knowledge of the supposed cash deliveries. He also accused Senator Rodante Marcoleta and former lawmaker Mike Defensor of allegedly pressuring him to make the claims.
For Malacañang, the conflicting testimonies are now part of the investigation themselves.
Castro said authorities should identify whoever may have masterminded the alleged creation of false scenarios and hold them accountable if wrongdoing is established.
The Palace also warned that fabricated testimony or evidence could weaken—not strengthen, the government’s efforts to uncover irregularities and prosecute those genuinely responsible.
Still, Castro stressed that the administration would not automatically accept either Guteza’s original testimony or his recantation, saying both must undergo verification and scrutiny.
The Ombudsman has maintained that the recantation will not derail its investigation, pointing to 28 other witnesses who allegedly possess direct and material information on transactions involving Romualdez.
The flood control probe remains ongoing, with the Ombudsman and DOJ conducting separate investigations. Evidence and documents gathered by the Senate have likewise been submitted to the Ombudsman.
While President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has yet to issue a specific statement on Guteza’s recantation, Castro reiterated that the administration’s position is to pursue the case through due process, evidence and the law—not fabricated testimony.
