Headline
Teodoro accuses Chinese Embassy of shielding nationals; embassy rejects claim
Abi Sarabia M., Philippine Canadian Inquirer
August 21, 2026

Photo courtesy: Philippine News Agency
MANILA, Philippines — Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr. accused the Chinese Embassy in Manila of shielding Chinese nationals allegedly involved in illegal activities in the Philippines, a claim the embassy rejected as “simply absurd.”
Teodoro said the embassy appeared to be acting as a “PR firm” for businessman Tony Yang and other Chinese nationals facing allegations in the country.
“From their public statements in the past days it is obvious that they are covering up for these people,” Teodoro said.
He also urged Filipinos to reject what he described as foreign interference in Philippine law enforcement.
The Chinese Embassy denied the accusation, saying anyone who violates Philippine law should face prosecution regardless of nationality.
“This is simply absurd!” embassy spokesperson Ji Lingpeng said.
Ji said China has cooperated with Philippine authorities in fighting crime and maintained that the embassy has a responsibility to provide consular assistance to Chinese citizens, including those it believes have been unfairly treated.
The dispute is partly tied to the May raid on Sanjia Steel Corp. in Misamis Oriental, where dozens of Chinese workers were detained. The Chinese Embassy has questioned the operation and alleged that the workers were subjected to poor detention conditions.
Philippine officials, however, have defended the operation and accused some of the Chinese nationals involved of engaging in illegal activities. Teodoro previously said evidence gathered by Philippine authorities could be presented in court.
The exchange adds to growing tensions between Philippine and Chinese officials over the treatment of Chinese nationals and Beijing’s involvement in cases being handled by Philippine authorities.
