{"id":110924,"date":"2017-08-09T04:48:16","date_gmt":"2017-08-09T08:48:16","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/canadianinquirer.net\/v1\/?p=110924"},"modified":"2017-08-09T04:48:16","modified_gmt":"2017-08-09T08:48:16","slug":"doj-to-seek-transfer-of-parojinog-cases-out-of-ozamiz","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/canadianinquirer.net\/v1\/2017\/08\/09\/doj-to-seek-transfer-of-parojinog-cases-out-of-ozamiz\/","title":{"rendered":"DOJ to seek transfer of Parojinog cases out of Ozamiz"},"content":{"rendered":"<figure id=\"attachment_110935\" aria-describedby=\"caption-attachment-110935\" style=\"width: 640px\" class=\"wp-caption alignnone\"><a href=\"https:\/\/canadianinquirer.net\/v1\/wp-content\/uploads\/2017\/08\/Parojinog-siblings.png\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" class=\"size-full wp-image-110935\" src=\"https:\/\/canadianinquirer.net\/v1\/wp-content\/uploads\/2017\/08\/Parojinog-siblings.png\" alt=\"Ozamiz City Vice Mayor Nova Princess Parojinog-Echavez and brother Reynaldo Parojinog Jr. (PNA Photo)\" width=\"640\" height=\"480\" srcset=\"https:\/\/canadianinquirer.net\/v1\/wp-content\/uploads\/2017\/08\/Parojinog-siblings.png 640w, https:\/\/canadianinquirer.net\/v1\/wp-content\/uploads\/2017\/08\/Parojinog-siblings-300x225.png 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 640px) 100vw, 640px\" \/><\/a><figcaption id=\"caption-attachment-110935\" class=\"wp-caption-text\">Ozamiz City Vice Mayor Nova Princess Parojinog-Echavez and brother Reynaldo Parojinog Jr. (PNA Photo)<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n<p style=\"background: white;margin: 15.0pt 0in 15.0pt 0in\"><strong><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">MANILA, Aug. 9<\/span><\/strong><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">\u00a0<\/span><span style=\"font-size: 10.5pt;font-family: 'Open Sans','serif';color: #333333;background: white\">\u2014<\/span><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\"> The Department of Justice will ask the Supreme Court (SC) to transfer the case of Parojinog siblings once Ozamiz City regional trial court (RTC) judges inhibit from the cases.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white;text-align: start;margin: 15.0pt 0in 15.0pt 0in\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">Senior Assistant State Prosecutor Juan Pedro Navera, head of the DOJ panel handling the cases, said Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II could seek the transfer of cases before the high court just like what he did in the cases against arrested Maute terrorists and supporters.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white;text-align: start;margin: 15.0pt 0in 15.0pt 0in\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">&#8220;It will be up to the (DOJ) management to seek the transfer of cases if there are no takers among the Ozamiz RTC judges,&#8221; he said.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white;text-align: start;margin: 15.0pt 0in 15.0pt 0in\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">The DOJ made the statement after Judges Edmundo Pintac of the Ozamiz RTC Branch 15 and Salome Dungog of the Ozamiz RTC Branch 35 both expressed plans to inhibit from the cases against the siblings filed last week.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white;text-align: start;margin: 15.0pt 0in 15.0pt 0in\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">&#8220;It should be heard and tried in a neutral place; not here in Ozamiz,&#8221; Pintac said in a television interview.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white;text-align: start;margin: 15.0pt 0in 15.0pt 0in\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">Dungog, for his part, explained that he would inhibit from the case because he is already set to retire on Aug. 22.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white;text-align: start;margin: 15.0pt 0in 15.0pt 0in\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">The DOJ ordered the<a title=\"DOJ orders filing of criminal raps vs Parojinog siblings\" href=\"http:\/\/www.pna.gov.ph\/articles\/1004570\"><span style=\"color: #2d2087\">\u00a0filing or criminal charges<\/span><\/a>\u00a0against Ozamiz City Vice Mayor Nova Princess Parojinog-Echavez and her brother, Reynaldo Jr., in connection to the anti-drug operation which killed their father Mayor Reynaldo Parojinog and 13 others last July 30.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white;text-align: start;margin: 15.0pt 0in 15.0pt 0in\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">In a 14-page resolution dated Aug. 2, the DOJ charged Echavez for violation of Republic Act 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 and also for violation of illegal possession of firearms and ammunition under Section 28 of Republic Act 10591.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white;text-align: start;margin: 15.0pt 0in 15.0pt 0in\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">Reynaldo Jr. is also facing three counts of illegal possession of firearms and ammunition. He is also facing a separate case for illegal possession of explosives before the Ozamiz regional trial court.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">&#8220;Respondent Nova Princess Parojinog is not a licensed firearms holder of any kind of caliber based on (PNP firearms and licensing division records). There is, therefore, no recourse but rot find probable cause against respondent Nova Princess Parojinog for illegal possession of light weapon and ammunition,&#8221; read the resolution.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">The drug charges, on the other hand, stemmed from the plastic sachets containing shabu that were seized from the siblings during the raid.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">The DOJ cited the plain view doctrine and indicted the siblings for drug possession even if the search warrant used for the raids was only for illegal firearms.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">The lack of licenses for the firearms seized from the vice mayor&#8217;s house warranted their indictment for illegal possession of firearms.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">Last Aug. 4, Aguirre issued an immigration lookout bulletin order (ILBO) against Ozamiz City Councilor Ricardo &#8216;Arthur&#8217; Parojinog who managed to evade arrest following the raid that led to the death of 14 people including Ozamiz Mayor Reynaldo Parojinog last July 30.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">In a memorandum, Aguirre directed Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente to instruct all immigration officers in the country\u2019s airports and seaports to be on the lookout to prevent attempts of Ricardo to leave the country.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">&#8220;Considering the gravity of the offense\/s possibly committed, there is a strong possibility that the foregoing personalities may attempt to place themselves beyond the reach of the legal processes of this Department by leaving the country,&#8221; Aguirre&#8217;s order said.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">&#8220;We thus deem the issuance of an ILBO against the subject prudent in order to at least monitor the itineraries of the flight, travel and\/or whereabouts,&#8221; read order further stated.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">A person subject of an ILBO can still leave the country subject to conditions and requirements including clearance from the DOJ.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">He also instructed the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to obtain additional information on the seven personalities such as latest photo, other known aliases, place of birth and a copy of the passport.<\/span><\/p>\n<p style=\"background: white;margin: 15.0pt 0in 15.0pt 0in\"><span style=\"font-size: 11.0pt;font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';color: black\">The DOJ Chief also required the Prosecutor General to regularly update the BI on the status of complaints and cases filed against them. (PNA)<\/span><\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>MANILA, Aug. 9\u00a0\u2014 The Department of Justice will ask the Supreme Court (SC) to transfer the case of Parojinog siblings &hellip;<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":33,"featured_media":110935,"comment_status":"open","ping_status":"open","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[16,95],"tags":[20872],"class_list":["post-110924","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-news","category-news-ph","tag-parojinog-siblings","mauthors-christopher-lloyd-caliwan","mauthors-philippine-news-agency"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/canadianinquirer.net\/v1\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/110924","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/canadianinquirer.net\/v1\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/canadianinquirer.net\/v1\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/canadianinquirer.net\/v1\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/33"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/canadianinquirer.net\/v1\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=110924"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/canadianinquirer.net\/v1\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/110924\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/canadianinquirer.net\/v1\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/110935"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/canadianinquirer.net\/v1\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=110924"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/canadianinquirer.net\/v1\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=110924"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/canadianinquirer.net\/v1\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=110924"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}